Emily Hurt lives in Allen, TX with her husband and their six dogs (4 Border Collies, 1 Jack Russell Terrier, & 1 Border Collie Mix). She has always had a dog by her side, and has always enjoyed training dogs, but it took her Jack Russell Terrier Madison to introduce her to agility back in 2003.
Emily got her first Border Collie in 2006 and has since widely broadened her skill set for training dogs, using what they love to love what they do- training with purely positive methods. She competes at the highest level of USDAA with her three adult Border Collies.
Emily’s biggest influence in how she runs and trains agility today has been Stuart Mah. She has attended a number of his seminars with Josie and Rikki, and his thought process matches up very well with hers. Emily acknowledges that each and every dog is different. They each come with strengths and weaknesses that will have to be worked with if you want to reach your peak performance as a team. A “do what works” mentality is in the forefront of Emily’s training and handling. While she runs three very fast border collies in competition, they are individuals and no two are exactly alike out on course, and structures training for herself and others, keeping this in mind.
A Civil Engineer by degree, Emily left the world of Land Development in January 2009 and has been teaching agility ever since. Her classes are fun and exciting, often so full of cheering and laughter that neighboring classes have a hard time concentrating. (Oops!) If you’re in the Dallas area, stop on by and say hello! If you aren’t nearby, take the opportunity to try one of our online classes or video analysis and join in on the fun!
ADCH-Platinum LAA-Platinum “Josefin” MX MXJ (9yo, first Border Collie)
- Youngest dog to receive ADCH (at 25 months), and subsequently the youngest ADCH-Bronze, Silver, Gold
- 22″ Grand Prix Semi-finalist, Cynosport 2008, 2010
- 1st place, 22″ Grand Prix Quarterfinals, Cynosport 2008 (at 2yo, against 164 dogs)
- 22″ Steeplechase Semi-finalist, Cynosport 2008, 2010
- DAM team Finalist, Cynosport 2008, 2010
- 26″ Grand Prix Semi-finalist, Cynosport 2009
- 1st place, Regional Champion, RM Regional 2009
- 26″ Top Ten in Gamblers, Snooker, and Standard 2009
- 22″ Top Ten in Gamblers, Snooker, and Standard 2010
- 16″ Performance Grand Prix Semi-finalist, Cynosport 2012, 2013, 2014
- 16″ Performance Speed Jumping Semi-finalist, Cynosport 2012, 2013, 2014
- PVP Relay Finalist, Cynosport 2014, 2014
- 1st place Regional Champion, PVP Team, 2014
- 2nd place overall P16″ dog, Cynosport 2014
- 3rd place P16″ Snooker, Cynosport 2014
- Silver Medalist Performance Masters Challenge Biathlon, Central Regional 2014
- 1st place, Regional Champion, RM Regional 2008
- 22″ Grand Prix Finalist, Cynosport 2008
- 22″ Steeplechase Finalist, Cynosport 2008
- DAM team Finalist, Cynosport 2008
- 22″ Top Ten in Gamblers, ranked #4 in 2008
- 3rd place, 22″ European Standard, Cynosport 2008
- 22″ Grand Prix Semi-finalist, Cynosport 2008, 2009
- 22″ Performance Grand Prix Semifinalist, Cynosport 2010, 2012
- 22″ Performance Speed Jumping Semifinalist, Cynosport 2010, 2012